There are now a number of recent executive orders, 特朗普总统签署, which affect immigration enforcement. There are two key items to consider: international travel plans and following all U.S. 法律.
If you are planning to travel outside the U.S., please contact 国际学生事务 for a meeting before booking your ticket. This request applies to all non-citizen international students; though, others are always welcome to confer with us about travel or other questions.
进入美国.S. by individuals without a "bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States" from Iran, 利比亚, 索马里, 苏丹, 叙利亚, and Yemen has been suspended for at least 90 days beginning March 16, 2017.
2017年6月26日，美国.S. Supreme Court partially granted a stay (stop) on injunctions which had stopped the 90-day travel ban issued by U.S. District Courts in Maryland and Hawaii. Importantly, the Supreme Court stated that students (from any country) who have been admitted to a U.S. 学校(e.g. F-1, M-1, or J-1 student) would be exempt from the ban.
It is very important to abide by all criminal and civil 法律 because criminal activity can be grounds for deportation or cause denial of future visas or immigration benefits. Examples of illegal activity include:
- Underage consumption of alcohol (under age 21)
- Engaging in a protest that violates 法律 (such as blocking traffic without a permit)
- Otherwise jeopardizing your status (such as not adhering to enrollment requirements)
It is recommended that all students carry copies of documentation demonstrating their legal status. For F-1/J-1 students these documents include: passport, visa, I-20, and most recent I-94.
It is also recommended that all students consider applying for a State ID or driver’s license from the Cedar Rapids DMV. This allows individuals to have photo identification useful for travel within the U.S. and for other general identification purposes so the passport or other valuable documents do not need to be used. 请浏览 DMV的网站 for more information, and check out these resources for international students:
- 国际学生事务 – For general questions about status, travel, and F-1/J-1 regulations firstname.lastname@example.org / 319.399.8843 或停在上盖.
- 牧师 – For spiritual resources or counseling. 上规.
- 创造力、事业、社区 – For academic support and resources.
- 学生事务处处长 – For general questions not related to F-1/J-1 immigration status.
- Coordinator of Multicultural Affairs -一般支援和资源. 上规.
- 健康总监 - For access to health and wellness resources including counseling services. 上规.
- 移民律师 - 国际学生事务 is a resource for all students and is a great starting point; however, given the complexity of immigration law, it may be recommended that you consult with an immigration lawyer based on your personal circumstances.
The executive orders impacting immigration at this time are:
- Executive Order: Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States (March 6)
- Executive Order: Protecting the Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States (January 27 - Revoked and Replaced) -目前部分激活. The Trump Administration has requested review by the Supreme Court who partially granted the government's request to stay the preliminary injunctions issued by U.S. District Courts in Maryland and Hawaii.
- Executive Order: Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements
- Executive Order: Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States